Friday, 19 December 2014

Brola

Brola is the nickname I created for my identical twin girls
I took inspiration from popular culture
example: Brangelina, Kimye or Billary

"Who was born first?"
I'm asked this question often
it bewilders me.
Does Twin A have more life experience that Twin B
because she was extracted from me 2 minutes earlier?

"You've got your hands full!"
is the most common statement most people 
say to me on the street while out and about Brola.

"How do you tell them apart?"
I've known them since they were born.
To me they look as different 
as any other sibling pair that were not born 
on the same day.

I made a mistake once..ONCE!
It was dark alright!

My arms are nicely toned
from carrying Brola for the last 2.5 years
One in each arm.

Not so much now but earlier
when they were able to express themselves
If they saw their reflection
they would assume it was their sister
How cute!

Their personalities are considerably different.
Twin A loves heavy machinery;
all things Minnie Mouse;
and the colour pink

Twin B loves Thomas the Tank Engine;
all things that require physical exertion;
and art.

Twin B gives up easily
"It's too difficult"
Twin A perseveres
"Let me do it"

While in the womb
they gave me a hiding
I always say that they kicked their way out of me.
I was only pregnant for 7 months
Brola decided that was long enough.

They spent the remaining 2 months
of the recommended gestational time
in the hospital
since they were too tiny for me to take them home.

I missed the 2012 Summer Olympics 
because I was in the hospital with them
There was nothing wrong with me
I felt it was the right thing to do
To learn to care for my babies

However, I did have an operation 
during those 2 months
I had my gall bladder removed.

One week after Brola were born
I woke up in the middle of the night
with an intense pain
that I felt high up in my belly

'Was there a 3rd baby that they missed?'
Nah, it was gallstones.

Brola finally came home
And all hell broke loose!

Caring for babies in the hospital
is quite diffrerent
to caring for babies at home.

Ain't no one coming to your aide
Ain't no one doing your laundry for you
Ain't no one providing an endless supply of nappies
Ain't no one letting you go the toilet 
Ain't no one letting you take a shower
I could go on

I won't.

I'm going to think about what to make for dinner
I wish that hot dogs were nutricious.







No comments:

Post a Comment